Monday, June 10, 2013

Weekly Challenge #122

Happy Monday everyone!
First of all, as always - a few house keeping items:

  • If you're NEW here (and there've been a lot of new additions to the party!) I'm working on creating some tutorials to help you out.  You can click on the links above or:  See "Getting Started"  and "Tutorials
  • To see all the past weekly challenges - click the tabs above
  • Please grab the button for the Weekly Challenge (on the right  sidebar) to display on your blogs! share the fun!
  • The limit of submissions to the slideshow is TWO, but please feel free to post as many as you like to your blogs.  I will take the first two presented to each challenge. 
  • I know that some of you have told me that the paypal button does not work, and some of you have had no trouble, i'm not sure why it's inconsistent, i've redone the code a few times... If all else fails you can donate to my paypal address which is madam_diva ( a t ) yahoo ( d o t ) com - also to those people who donated this week... THANK YOU SO MUCH.

Happy Monday!!

Thanks for everyone being so patient with me this past week, i have been busy with post-run stuff!  Here's some photos from the run!
My family - before and after
So, my friend Tara and i planned a charity 5k Fun Run - for Beads of Courage Canada.  Everyone started the race in a white t-shirt and then ran through colour stations (99% food grade corn starch, 1% food grade colour!) accumulating colour, symbolizing the kids who are on this program who start off plain and accumulate coloured beads as they go through their medical journeys.


My older brother running through the violet station
We had approximately 160 registered runners, and TONS of kids, over 60 volunteers - lots of amazing sponsors - and we raised over $13,000 for this amazing program.  We. Are. Proud.
So thankful that we are able to give something back to this program that has and does mean so much to our children and our families.

B-rad and i, after the run.
Both of our families came out, we had amazing weather, and the little kids had SOOO much fun... the grown ups did too.

My niece, my brother, Chewie, and my mom
 Here's a photo of SOME of our volunteers.

AWESOME
It was such a fun day.... we're already thinking about next year!

I also had some time to try out Birds on a Wire, but not on a tile - here it is in my Tangle A Day Calendar!

Birds on a wire!

Weekly Challenge #122: "Grid (un)Locked"
At the beginning of the month, Rick and Maria sent out the latest Zentangle Newsletter where they talked about using a grid in a new way.

Now, there are TONS of grid based patterns.  But this approach is different.  In fact Rick and Maria compare it to Tripoli, which was released in THIS newsletter wherein what you draw INSIDE the triangles becomes the 'pattern' as you line your triangles up together.  In the Grid (un)Locked, all you need is one little square. 

Here's a few of Rick and Maria's examples of those little square, or grid seeds as they call them:

source
I think the term grid seed is just so perfect, because as you fill in each squre, your pattern grows.  LOVE it.

This week's challenge is to try a Grid (un)Locked!  You can use either one of Rick and Maria's grid seeds, or as an added challenge, come up with your own grid seed collection and use one of those!!
I used seed # I-1 on this tile
 Here's a few shots of my little "seed" growing in my Tangle a Day calendar.
I'm collecting some seeds to try out in my calendar! have fun!!

If you have a blog, add the site-specific URL where your tile is posted to the linkey machine below! Don't forget to link back here so that others can join in the fun! (if you don't know how to find this, you can see my half assed tutorial here)

Also,  please feel free to come back often and visit the links of those people on the linkey machine - don't forget to leave a comment or feedback, everyone loves feedback. ;)

If you don't have a blog but still want to participate, you can email your tile to me and i will post it here. (please email to weeklychallenge(at)mail(dot)com)I just ask that you put in the subject line:  Challenge # ________

The deadline for each weekly challenge is Saturday night so that i can round everyone up by Sunday. What this means is that i will stop adding tiles to the slideshow on Sunday. You're still more than welcome to do the challenges and add your name to the linkey machine.
I will be more diligent with the linkey machine - by editing out the ones that don't work, the doubles, the links that lead to nowhere, the links that go just to blog home pages (this is why we need those site specific urls), and the spam. And there is some spam.  PLEASE do not put your *home* page in the linkey machine... please? for me??

15 comments:

  1. It sounds as if the Fun Run was a huge success and you should be proud! It looks like a blast with all that color and excitement. You are accomplishing big things. Kudos to you Laura and your awesome family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Beads of Courage fun run looks fantastic. I love the fact that all those adults were willing to get "bombed" with colors. Looks like a wonderful event! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the photos.......it looks like it was so much fun. Your calendared birds on a wire is so inspiring! I am excited about this challenge......I have a lot to explore. Your tile is amazing in depth and beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing your fun at the run! And, you raised a great deal of money. Wonderful!! Both your art pieces are great. I especially like your calendar piece.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am fairly new to Zentangle, and have discovered through my searches, that most serious Tanglers participate in and have a link to the Diva Czt page. I just entered my first "weekly challenge" based on the grid seeds. I designed my own grid pattern called "Spyz". Having a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful tile! I also love the picture from your run! The coloring the shirt looks like a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super tile and tangling Laura, you look good in pink!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your blog and challenges - you're so creative!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on making your fundraising such a success! That's a lot of work, but so worthwhile and rewarding...Yea you!!! Your calendar and tile look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the challenge. I just started doing zentangles - and this is my first "weekly challenge". So fun :)
    -Marianne

    ReplyDelete
  11. Haven't done a challenge in so long I almost forgot how much fun they are!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the colorful shirts on the end! Glad that your fundraiser was so successful!
    Looks like we both started playing with the seed grids on the same day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. where do i find the tangle a day calendars?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Late to the party, but I REALLY love the tangle I did this week. Hope I can still make it into the slide show. (I promise to stay on top of my tangling from now on.)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is my first time doing Zentangle Art, please take a look and let me know what you honestly think :)

    ReplyDelete

tangle me some zen, baby!!